RE: Dispute process (Was: Resignation request)

Hi Andrew,

[Cc trimmed]

At 02:44 PM 10-03-2020, Andrew Alston wrote:
So - Why not move straight away and ask for a formal recall process? Firstly - I've long believed in transparency - hence, if I am going to do something, I am going to do it publicly, and I am going to stand by it - that is in my view absolutely critical in a bottom up organization. Secondly, invoking a formal recall process against someone is a hell of a thing to do - once started - if recalled - that person has been formally recalled for the rest of his days. I prefer to give someone the option of saying "I screwed up" and stepping aside before invoking such a process - and that is not to say that there will NOT be a formal recall request coming - in fact - its under heavy consideration for both what happened in this instance and for other reasons that have been raised since that request for resignation went out.

I know that many will go - follow the process - and as I said, I for one, am quite happy to do that, but I believe that giving someone the option to step aside before you institute such process against them is actually the kinder option, and is no less public than a formal recall request would be, since in the spirit of transparency, any such formal request would almost certainly be as public as a request to resign, made so either by IETF process or by the initiators of said process.

The following comments are not about the merits of the request.

Please see Section 2.1 of draft-moonesamy-recall-rev-03 [1]. The argument was made approximately 15 years ago. In my opinion, that point got lost in the various unrelated discussions which occurred afterwards.

The Recall process has never been exercised. It would be very difficult to exercise, more likely due to some safeguards which would not have been problematic at the time when the relevant document was written.

One of the reasons for "process" is so that the decision-making is not based on a random choice or personal whim. There is also the ability for the persons taking the decision to exercise their own judgement.

The last part in the previous paragraph might be useful to a person (Bcc) on an entirely unrelated matter.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-recall-rev-03