Re: Remote presenters for HotRFC in Vancouver? (was: Re: Side meetings in a virtual IETF meeting ?)

Hi, Michael,

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 4:37 PM Michael Richardson <mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Since there are no questions taken, this is a write only event and there is
    > no real difference between a HotRFC streamed live and a YouTube video.

+1

I have tried to avoid commenting (nit-picking) on HotRFC, since I have yet to
make it to one.  This is one of the reasons why.
I already feel way overscheduled.

(I'd rather have poster presentations at the reception myself)

On this particular point,

I've done poster duty at three or four IETFs in the past couple of years, and if I get ANYONE who can stop receptioning long enough to notice the posters and ask questions, that's a win. If you can have a detailed conversation with a BOF chair (which is what the posters are for), that's great, but HotRFC has been running (IIRC 15-25 topics per IETF, so visualize several hundred people finding the five posters that might be interesting, and visualize how many more eyeballs you get in a room with 150-250 people who aren't talking to each other and scanning for food and drinks.

I'm not sure who on the IESG is shepherding HotRFC (either at IETF 107 or going forward), but it IS worth wondering if having the more speculative HotRFC talks stay in HotRFC and having people who have been doing BOF promos and new work item promos as HotRFC talks migrate to poster sessions (if you have an approved BOF, theoretically you already have at least some potential participants, so broadcasting might not be as valuable), or even pre-arranged Sunday night meetings.

But I'm going to try to behave until April, when we see what happened at IETF 107, what worked, and what didn't, before I make suggestions about things to change :-)

Best,

Spencer

    > Except that the YouTube video has a transcript and can be watched at any
    > time people want to see it with the option of adjusting the speed to watch
    > it faster or slower.

    > So a Web page with links to submitted videos would work as well.

+5

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [