Re: [Int-area] Is IPv6 End-to-End? R.I.P. Architecture? (Fwd: Errata #5933 for RFC8200)

On 29/2/20 23:19, Joseph Touch wrote:

On Feb 29, 2020, at 5:46 PM, Fernando Gont <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I did look at the protocols involved here; the ingress does add headers but doesn’t appear to handle fragmentation. That’s a non-starter if you want your packets to traverse a network because people WILL hand you 1280-byte packets, so what will you do?

FWIW, we have been insisting on this point (and others) since they first tried to push EH insertion in draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header.

THey removed it from *that* document, but they keep trying to push similar ideas in other documents.

Well its seems simple to me - they need a plan for fragmentation or it’s simply a nonstarter because they can’t support 1280-B packets traversing the network.

Indeed.

But it's worse than that. The proponents, and others, claim that IPv6 supports extension header insertion/removal en-route to a destination.

In order for that to be the case, the IPv6 specification itself (RFC8200) would have a plan to make PMTUD work (and IPsec AH, too). But obviously it doesn't (because it never supporte EH insertion/removal en-route to destination).

Still, the errata I submitted (https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5933), is unprocessed, and at least there was a statement that would be "held for document update" (see: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/yVKxBF3VnJQkIRuM8lgWN4_G3-o/)

No amount of “but this is what the user wants” translates to “they want their packets dropped silently”.

It smells even worse when they pretend that the IPv6 allows for their proposed behavior.

Thanks!

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont