Re: [Int-area] Is IPv6 End-to-End? R.I.P. Architecture? (Fwd: Errata #5933 for RFC8200)

On 28/2/20 22:55, Joseph Touch wrote:

On Feb 28, 2020, at 12:18 AM, Robert Raszuk <robert@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:robert@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

>  I don’t care about what you WANT to do; I care whether it breaks what everyone else expects.

I see many folks on this colorful thread simply forgot what networks are for. To deliver packets in the most robust and resilient way to end user applications.

They’re for delivering packets, agreed.

I did look at the protocols involved here; the ingress does add headers but doesn’t appear to handle fragmentation.

That’s a non-starter if you want your packets to traverse a network because people WILL hand you 1280-byte packets, so what will you do?

FWIW, we have been insisting on this point (and others) since they first tried to push EH insertion in draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header.

THey removed it from *that* document, but they keep trying to push similar ideas in other documents.

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx || fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx