Re: [arch-d] [Int-area] Is IPv6 End-to-End? R.I.P. Architecture? (Fwd: Errata #5933 for RFC8200)

On 2/28/20 7:29 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:12 PM John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been trying to stay out of this, but...
  Keith's comment about practices that might have many
advantages but that also result in single points of failure may
be a particularly relevant example.

As you both know, we designed the DNS so that it is not a single point of failure, there is the option for redundancy.

Rail at the DNS as a single point of failure if you like. But it isn't and I don't think people are going to start using IP addresses.

The failures are at least as likely to be human errors as any other kind, but such failures are common.

And people _are_ using IP addresses, quite frequently.   Not so much for the web or email, but static allocation and configurations based on IP address are quite common on local networks, within enterprise networks, and even sometimes between enterprise networks.   From a certain perspective, DNS is seen as something that's relatively unnecessary and something else to fail.   And when, say, a factory production line stops because of DNS lookup failure, someone's head is going to roll if it happens twice.

Also, there are organizational issues at play here.  DNS is often seen as the purview of "IT" (I hate that term, but it seems to have stuck). "IT" often has a different view of its responsibilities than, say, manufacturing or engineering, and "IT" is widely seen by other technically competent people as an impediment to getting work done or shipping product.   From that perspective, DNS is better avoided.

(I remember a recent case in which someone in marketing at a corporation (which I shall not name publicly), directed a low-level IT person to change the NS records associated with a subsidiary company's domain, because the company had hired a new web designer, and the web designer decided that the easiest way to make the transition was to set up a new DNS server for the company at a different provider,... and in doing so broke every other application used by the subsidiary company, including every application used for order processing and customer support.    This is the kind of idiocy one finds in the "real world", and unfortunately, DNS  contributes to the problem.)

And moreover, since the vast majority of applications people decided to go for HTTP rather than TCP as our transport protocol in recent years, and we have multiple hosts on the same IP address, it is no longer possible to connect to most Internet resources by IP address. And the same is true of SMTP.

Your view of "the vast majority of applications" may not be accurate, because as far as I can tell "the vast majority of applications" aren't specified in readily available documents.   I know of a lot of private applications running over raw tcp, for example.    But even applications that use HTTP as a substrate quite often aren't hitting HTTP servers on the public Internet that need such provisioning.   There are lots of small Internet appliances that have HTTP interfaces that can be used for monitoring and/or configuration.

It's a really large and diverse Internet, and there are lots of use cases that are important to people, that don't look like the statistically typical case.  IMO IETF needs to be aware of this and to not presume that everything that matters is running in the cloud, supported by redundant high-speed links and well-provisioned DNS.   Many environments don't have DNS service for internal hosts, only for publicly visible hosts.

Keith