Re: [arch-d] [Int-area] Is IPv6 End-to-End? R.I.P. Architecture? (Fwd: Errata #5933 for RFC8200)

On Feb 27, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

IP end to end does not mean the IP address is constant end to end. It never has meant that and never will.

Actually, that's the only thing it ever meant and always will. When addresses change, *by definition*, the*ends* change (and yes, that's what NATs do - they create end-to-end CONTENT transfer over separate end-to-end Internets).

By whose definition? Not by mine.

I’d start with RFCs 791 and 1122, but there’s also the pseudo header in RFC 793, to be very specific.

TCP and TLS give me a reliable end-to-end stream. The fact that the IP address is exposed is merely an unfortunate defect in the legacy APIs.

As the application layer designer, I am the customer here. I do not care about the IP address.

Hmmm. By what value do you call  TCP endpoint?

You must have magic sockets that don’t actually refer to IP addresses.

Joe