Re: [arch-d] [Int-area] Is IPv6 End-to-End? R.I.P. Architecture? (Fwd: Errata #5933 for RFC8200)

On 2/28/20 1:12 PM, Tom Herbert wrote:

Yes, but in BSD sockets, the most common networking API, "bind" takes
an address and port number argument, "connect" takes and address and
port number argument, getsockname and getpeername return the
respective pairs set on a socket. So the TCP 4-tuple is very visible
to applications and has been for many years. If there's a better way
to do this that hides this and makes it easier I say go for it, but
please don't call this a solved problem until you've achieved
ubiquitous deployment and we can obsolete the sockets API since no one
is using it anymore.

And in particular any API that presumes that DNS will be reliable and have the correct address for a peer, or even that it exists at all, is going to suffer from a huge disconnect from reality.

The beautiful thing about only needing an address and a port (and often, having a default port) is that it doesn't need any higher-layer infrastructure to make it work.   This is a feature, not a bug.

Keith