Re: Further update on COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and IETF 107 Vancouver

Hi,

On 26 Feb 2020, at 16:13, Ron Bonica wrote:

The IETF’s current practice of holding three in-person meetings per year is not sustainable. If not today, at some time in the future, the IETF will be forced to hold a fully on-line meeting. This may be motivated by:

  * The next public health issue
  * Environmental concerns
  * Geopolitical or visa concerns
  * Economic concerns

I personally don’t agree with this, a bit apocalyptical, view. I think we are letting our fears and our imagination get the best of us. It’s hard, I’ve been nervously checking https://wuflu.live several times a day, even though the rational side of my brain tells me that doing that is plain silly.

Three meetings a year is perfectly sustainable, just maybe not everyone needs to attend all three. Put numbers in perspective: three meetings a year of around 1400 people is like 1/5th of a single rock concert of any popular band (yes, a lot of people fly to go to concerts), or even less of CES or similar trade shows. In actual numbers, we are a tiny community.

Regardless of this comment, I believe developing the ability to hold virtual meetings should be a top to-do item for the IETF. While it has got a lot better lately, it’s still way behind other industry solutions.

There is a lot of work to do. The sooner it starts, the better.

But don’t let fears get the best of us.

/Carlos