Another strategic discussion (Re: IETF 107 and Corona Virus?)

I think one of the issues with discussions about creating remote meetings in these sorts of circumstances seems to necessitate someone being at a disadvantage from a timezone perspective.  It seems to me that one area to explore is analogous to our “share the pain” process for meeting locales, and seeing that WG virtual meetings in particular not unfairly disadvantage groups of participants.  I note that the RFC editor virtual meetings have occurred at different times precisely to follow this principle.  That idea might require refining: for instance, some WGs may be heavily Euro- or Ameri- or Asia-centric, allowing some weighting.

Also, Christian’s point about learning how and when to interject oneself as a remote participant is in play when there is an in-person meeting.  Pure virtual meetings do put everyone at that same disadvantage.

All of this to point out that as we eventually cycle back to the meeting modalities discussion some time from now with some data from the LLC, we should be thinking broadly about how we all get together… in person or virtually.