Re: IETF 107 and Corona Virus?

John

On 17/02/2020, at 2:37 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

* Government-imposed restrictions, not on travel, but on
post-travel activities or equivalent, such as 14 day quarantines
after arrival.  I think that, if Canada imposed a 14 day
quarantine on arrivals from certain cities or countries
(effectively requiring around March 7 for the IETF meeting) or
if a participant's country of residence required a 14 day
quarantine period on return after IETF, it is a fairly safe bet
that many companies would say "can't have you away from work for
three weeks, so you are not allowed to go".

I find it difficult to conceive that any restriction that prevents someone from travelling to where they want to go can be described as anything other than a travel restriction.

However, for the avoidance of doubt, the list now includes (but is again not limited to) the following government imposed travel restrictions:

- denial of exit
- denial of entry
- diversion
- repatriation
- isolation (including on the way to the meeting, at the meeting and returning from the meeting)
- quarantine (including on the way to the meeting, at the meeting and returning from the meeting)
- blanket travel bans (not including corporate, yet)

I don't expect you to make policy on the fly about such things
and hope no one else does either, but these are the sorts of
things that are likely enough that establishing a policy and
making it clear -- rather than making case-by-case decisions and
hoping they will be perceived as fair-- seems to me to be quite
important.

Again for the avoidance of doubt, that is what I meant with my previous message about not making policy on the fly and consulting with colleagues about an amendment to the policy

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director