Re: Excessive use of interim meetings

Two quick observations...

--On Monday, February 17, 2020 12:03 -0500 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Many things Internet have scaled. The IETF ain't one of them.
> Some people are still insisting that it work in the same way
> as 25 years ago. How can that make sense.

Just in case I'm one of the people you have in mind, I'm not
only not insisting the the IETF work the way it did 25 years
ago, I think that trying to do that would be a disaster.  Keith
can speak for himself but I don't think he is advocating any
such thing either, nor have I seen anyone else on this list
doing so.  If things that I've said sound that way, either I
have not been clear (in which case I apologize) or people are
making assumptions about what I'm saying without actually
reading my notes.  A third possibility is that people are making
up positions to attribute to those with whom they disagree and
then attacking those positions, a tactic that I assume was in
poor repute even before Aristotle alluded to it more than two
millennia ago, but you have too much integrity to do that.

To be clear, I think many of the changes in the IETF over the
last 25 years are very exciting.   I'm particularly encouraged
by the increasing diversity of our participation, especially
increased geographic and linguistic diversity.  I think we have
not adapted well to those changes.  I also applaud the moves
toward making the IETF a kinder and more professional place,
especially when dealing with people who may be new to the
community or who may be offering unusual perspectives even when
I worry about the mechanisms that were designed to protect
people from rude or bullying behavior when those mechanisms are
used to suppress dissent, especially dissent from positions
taken by the leadership.

Coming back to the discussions of the last few days, I think
that moves in the direction of more and/or longer and more
expensive meetings are exactly the wrong direction to be going,
if only  because they work against participation by, and
fairness toward, a very broad range of people with different
backgrounds and perspectives.  I think we have gotten somewhat
more into a situation in which people take leadership roles to
advance their careers and try to hold onto them rather than
doing them for a short time out of obligation to the community.
That, in turn, as almost anyone who survived an undergraduate
course in either organizational behavior or bureaucracy learned,
tends to lead to behaviors that entrench the leadership, expand
organizational and organizational support roles, and trends
toward more top-down decision making.   Because the kinds of
roles those trends tend to develop also make it nearly
impossible for anyone without solid organizational support to
assume time-consuming leadership roles, it takes exceptional
people who have gotten used to that type of support to remain
sensitive to the needs of those who are more constrained by
levels of support, language, distance and so on.   The IETF has
been lucky in having more of those exceptional people than we
may deserve, but that has not prevented symptoms from appearing
(some of which have been discussed by you and others lately).
I also want to stress that I said "tends" and "trends": I'm not
accusing anyone of bad behavior, much less acting in bad faith,
just that the IETF is not immune from the situations that
develop certain behavior in most organizations like it.

Maybe that is actually the right way to go rather than
responding to the trends by compensating for them or pushing
back.  But, if it is, we probably should be investigating the
kinds of safeguards that other standards bodies who have found
themselves in similar situations have established to prevent
dominance by small clusters of interests and the loss of
credibility that tends to go with such dominance.

I am not at all certain that much of this is about scaling.  It
may have much more to do with organizational changes, some as
the IETF matures and some as the world around us changes.

I could go on but probably no one would read the note (if anyone
has gotten even this far given the number of notes I've gotten,
some offline and quite aggressive, suggesting that, if I cannot
or will not boil everything I have to say down to a few pithy
sentences and/or emoji.

> W3C didn't scale either, we ended up having to create OASIS.

Huh?  According to my memory and their web site, OASIS is the
renamed descendant of an SGML-oriented both created in around
1993.  I remember organizational and Advisory Committee of W3C
in the last half of that decade, so it is a bit hard for me to
figure out how scaling problems with W3C were diagnosed early
enough to lead to a new organization in 1993.

best,
   john