Re: NomCom 2019 Call for Community Feedback

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 4:24 AM Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The past few generic IESG job descriptions (as sent to Nomcom) have had
> some interesting text in this front (quoting from
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/nomcom/2019/expertise/#pos-iesg-members):
>
> % An AD should be able to personally review every Internet-Draft that they
> % sponsor. For other Internet-Drafts an AD needs to be satisfied that
> % adequate review has taken place, though many ADs personally review these
> % documents as well.
>
> That does, of course, leave the question open of what constitutes "adequate
> review", but it seems highly likely that the intent is to allow
> directorates to satisfy it.

I find the quality of directorate reviews to be highly variable.
Sometimes they are quite deep and perceptive. Sometimes I have thought
a draft needs a review by the X Directorate because of X issues in it
and the resulting review has only a few comments on things found by
the nits checker -- and I mean not just that it has no substantive
comments on X issues, the review doesn't doesn't mention X at all,
except possibly is boilerplate at the beginning of the review, not
even to say that the reviewer didn't find any X issues in the draft
:-(

Thanks,
Donald
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx