Re: NomCom 2019 Call for Community Feedback

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 4:09 PM Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2019, at 21:54, Salz, Rich <rsalz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I wonder what people think would break if we moved to 5 AD's per area, and they could divide the WG's and IESG concalls amongst themselves?

Five?  We barely manage to get two.  Where will we find five?

This WG chair gig that you and I do?  We can sell it to our respective employers as something we do in our spare time.  An AD’s job?  Not so much.

Yes, having five of them would mean that each supervises 1-2 working groups.. It might make scheduling sessions in a meeting a bit easier. But the ADs will still have to attend all three meetings plus the retrieat, and most of them are still going to be reading every draft.  I can see this cutting the AD job down to 25 hours a week, maybe even 20. But that’s still a sizeable chunk of time, and it makes you not available for crunch time for your employer.

It might get Kyle’s $600,000 down to $400,000.  A decent chunk of change, and now you want 30 such chunks rather than 14.

I don’t think adding more management is the solution.

Right and then you have to coordinate among them all, which is time consuming.

I, and others are willing to help talk to management to justify the role and time spent.  I think there's a pretty compelling argument.

Best regards,
Kathleen

--

Best regards,