Re: [Int-area] Existing use of IP protocol 114 (any 0-hop protocol)

Bob Hinden wrote:

> My take is doing anything isn’t necessary.

OK.

2)  The second reason is that I think the reason for few IANA
allocation requests in this registry is that it is likely that
packets containing any new assignments will be blocked in firewalls
and middle boxes.   It’s hard to get a new protocol deployed.   I am
doubtful this will change anytime soon.   I suspect we will never run
out, unless the Internet changes significantly.

Your argument is not applicable to protocols used between routers,
though there won't be so many such protocols standardized.

						Masataka Ohta