Re: Voting Security

> Il 17 settembre 2019 07:15 shogunx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ha scritto:
>

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
> > Electronic elections are a great idea. Just not for public office.
>
> I will give you that, but in the use cases you referenced, there is no
> need for a specialty apparatus to perform the job... a general purpose
> networked computer/phone/etc. can provide the client side service
> required.

There are a number of intermediate situations in which the advantage to democracy of faster, cheaper and easier voting, enabling people to vote more often and in higher numbers, may be deemed to outweigh the risks of manipulation - for example, non-binding consultations by a local public authority, or a limited number of absentee votes from abroad, or online voting in a reasonably cooperative context (e.g. an association with hundred of thousands of members). In these cases however you still require a dedicated tool, and you'd still better apply all possible mitigations against manipulation by those running the system, which in general are non-technical but require support in the platform.

At the same time, electronic/online voting for general elections is now a non-starter almost everywhere, at least in Europe - many countries worked on it, introduced it, and then discontinued it because of the risks.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx