Re: tone policing

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, at 09:27, Stephen Farrell wrote:

I was thinking it'd be hard to provide good examples,
but you've done that excellently.

To whatever extent you're not proud of that 2011 mail,
I think this 2019 mail repairs lots. A fine example
that we can all live and learn, and to follow.

Yeah, there's plenty from around those years that I cringe when reading back over.  Honestly I probably wouldn't have come to the IETF at all after that if it hadn't been for Pete Resnick at Inbox Love in 2014 (that was a weird conference) talking about how the IETF wasn't as bad as the reputation I'd heard - and that things COULD be achieved there still.

I don't even mind arguing and having to defend technical decisions, but I had the impression back in 2014 that the IETF was 100% arguing and that no effective work could get done here - so had disengaged.

Then Alexey Melnikov came to a CalConnect in 2016 and was welcoming about joining IETF, and so here I am!

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  brong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx