Re: tone policing

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, at 08:43, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
Dan, you asked for specific examples of speech whose acceptability has
changed.

A clear and simple example is personal attacks.  It is no longer
acceptable (or at least, we try to make it impossible) to respond to an
argument by saying "you do not know what you are talking about, so we
should ignore your input."  Other even more extreme and personal
comments were once accepted in this community.   they are not accepted
any longer.

Like for example this thing, which I'm not particularly proud of:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/imap5/zPoaR1ezRWRs4ji9rbojXLuomFE

The whole experience around there nearly turned me off the IETF entirely, largely due to things like this:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/imap5/4bg3IkTTJvCAcr8aro5wCyNjZSA

... and I know Mark's not around to defend himself here, so I can only point out the flaws in my own communication style there and the missed opportunities to progress work because I was too busy butting heads.

I'm sad I never got to meet Mark in person.  I think a lot of the value of in-person meetings is the sitting together and looking into each other's eyes and realising that the other person isn't a moron and isn't deliberately trying to break the world!

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  brong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx