Re: Recent threads concerning sergeants-at-arms

On 9/7/2019 8:20 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
Hiya,

On 07/09/2019 02:24, Alissa Cooper wrote:
Hi Stephen,

I believe that the notion that we must choose between an environment
where we can disagree — about anything that is in scope for IETF
discussion — and an environment in which every person is treated
with dignity, decency, and respect (to quote BCP 54) is a false
choice.
I fully agree and didn't mean to imply those were mutually
exclusive - they are not. Maybe it'll help if I try phrase
my concerns differently.

I maintain that we need to be very careful in how we try get
to a place where we bother respect one another as people and
where we feel free to question anything relevant. It'd be easy
enough to end up putting too much emphasis on one and not the
other. While historically we've not sufficiently emphasised
being respectful, it is also possible that efforts to encourage
better behaviour could accidentally stymie an environment where
we have a goal that anyone can and will question anything
relevant.

I do want an outcome where people are commonly more respectful
of one another, but don't really want people to think they
need be respectful of other people's positions - regardless of
whether that position is based on one's employer or of having
been selected for something by nomcom. And I do see that as
a danger that (maybe inherently?) accompanies efforts to get
us to behave better.

Lastly I think the fact that we're a volunteer-driven body
without members also has an impact in that we cannot as
easily punish whatever one might consider bad behaviour as
is possible in a company or membership organisation. I think
our efforts to encourage better behaviour need to take that
into account. To some extent, with our setup we need to be
able to live with rougher-edges in debate as anyone can turn
up. And that "anyone can turn up" is a strength that I think
we all agree we don't want to lose.

Cheers,
S.

Best, Alissa

On Sep 3, 2019, at 5:02 AM, Stephen Farrell