Re: The Next Generation

John,

I respect your efforts, and those of Kathleen and others, to mentor new people.  I wouldn't mind helping myself, but new people are generally not visible to me unless I attend meetings, which is problematic both for reasons of expense and reasons of stress. The thought of spending thousands of dollars to participate in what has often become an extremely dysfunctional discussion environment (though this does vary from one WG to another), and endure more abuse in the process, is just too depressing.   But if there were some other way to connect new people to remote participants, that might be helpful, and that's why I asked about other efforts.

And I respect your right, and others' rights, to make individual judgments and choices about how to best further IETF's mission. If you choose to do work more behind-the-scenes I wish you well in your efforts.   We certainly need lots of help of various kinds. Meanwhile it's increasingly clear that some IETF leaders' actions (promoting censorship for arbitrary reasons and also overtly promoting discrimination) are having a chilling effect on IETF's ability to do sound technical work, and exacerbate the very toxicity that some leaders claim to be trying to remedy.   I have seen no sign that these efforts have been curtailed.   Until they are curtailed, I believe it will continue to be necessary to call them out.   But I remain hopeful that the problems will be addressed.  And I will also continue to try to recognize positive developments that come to my attention.

You mentioned remembering when I first came to IETF.   What I remember about my first meeting (St. Louis) is being pleasantly surprised, even shocked, at how eager the participants were to have a new and well-informed participant, and how welcome my input was in the discussions that we had that week.   It was a complete contrast to today's environment of general hostility.   Of course conditions are different now, but so is the organization.

I think the biggest problem we have is that we've lost the sense of collaborating for a common purpose.    I don't see how we can restore that as long as the leadership promotes divisiveness.

Keith