Re: v3 format rollout schedule

On 28 Aug 2019, at 10:57, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

Labeling what we roll out as beta, and more importantly noting that there are further changes that are needed, makes sense to me.

Me too.

With an important caveat. That was not how I read your note, which is why I was asking.

There is an issue in that we will either need to preserve the beta code permanently, or be able to convert any beta RFCs with formatting preserved into final RFCs.

Yes.

If all the changes are extensions, that clearly works. However, if they are not, I wonder how we publish RFCs with requisite permanence.

There will always be that question because there will at some point likely be a v4.

The question is whether the community wants to review all the proposed changes to RFC 7991 before the RFC Editor starts publishing things in XML format. As Julian points out, there are dozens of open issues that have been filed on RFC 7991 and on the changes being made by the contractor. Should we deal with those now, or should we basically agree to having an incompatible v4 format in about a year? My preference would be "do the review now".

--Paul Hoffman