Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On 8/3/19 12:11 AM, Christopher Wood wrote:

The GIT WG was chartered primarily to guide other WGs that wish to use GitHub. Whether or not it's the right tool (for some definition of right) is orthogonal to group's purpose.

Yes, that's what I (mostly) get from the charter.  And yet, having a WG that produces output that tells WGs how to use GitHub has the effect of encouraging GitHub over other tools, and encouraging its use without due consideration for the risks that it appears to present, and this concerns me.

I think we need to be asking ourselves as a broader community whether GitHub is an appropriate tool to use, and the same questions should be asked of any new tool that we expect people to use.   Maybe the easiest way to do that is to tweak the git WG's charter.  Or maybe not, but having a group that is effectively promoting use of GitHub without asking those questions somewhere, seems to me to  be a Bad Idea.

Some people have been saying that that such discussion should occur in the git WG rather than on the ietf list.  I'm not sure about that.  But if such discussion were to happen in the git WG, it seems like the charter would also need to be tweaked to make that clear.

Keith