Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On 8/2/19 7:31 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On Aug 3, 2019, at 01:13, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(and I realize you were trying to employ reductio ad absurdum but the analogy simply does not hold.)
Right.  A better analogy would be eating only animals you have slaughtered yourself.

Grüße, Carsten

(And the answer to the question in the subject line can be reduced to “No.  But use it with care.”  For which we have a whole WG.  Why are we discussing this here?)

Strongly disagree.  I think the answer is "yes, as soon as practicable".   And I'd argue that that WG should not exist with its current charter - there should be no presumption that GitHub is appropriate for IETF or that it should be favored in any way. The very fact that IETF is favoring a commercial provider of any service seems both dangerous to IETF and completely inappropriate.

(though I suppose the right thing to do procedurally is file an appeal, it seems to make more sense to discuss it here first in case my concerns can be addressed.)

Keith