Re: A few individual comments based on tonight's discussions

On 28 Jul 2019, at 20:27, Martin Thomson wrote:

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019, at 07:21, Pete Resnick wrote:
It seems to me there's a pretty wide chasm between "completely opaque" and "micromanaging", so I'm curious about your thought that the complete opacity "is a very good thing". In particular, if the IAB is accountable
(and I believe it is and should be), it's got to have at least some
knowledge of what's going on at a high level. That to me means that the
IAB not only reviews the minutes of RSOC meetings like the rest of us
do, but also gets regular briefings from the RSOC so there can be some
Q&A about minutes.

The idea, at least as far I understand it, was that the two IAB members on the RSOC were entrusted with ensuring that information was relayed to the IAB as a whole. So, while the analogy is neat, it's not really a black box. Information was flowing, but it might have been that there was some problem with getting the right level of information.

What you say is more encouraging than how Melinda had framed it; not ideal, in that perhaps the right info was not coming through, but still better than "completely opaque". That said, I've heard intimations offline that some folks (on the IAB and on the RSOC) thought that the IAB was meant to purposely treat the RSOC as a black box. If your view is the held view across the IAB and the RSOC, that's good, and perhaps just information flow needs to be adjusted. If not, perhaps others might say why they feel differently.

pr
--
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best