Re: baffled Re: Energy saving as an IETF goal

On 7/25/19 9:10 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
the Internet has been the biggest reducer of energy
that i could think of in comparison of equivalent alternatives.
For the whole planet for the last few decades.

Email/online-group-communications vs. transporting physical equivalents,
video conferencing, Home office, Telecommuning vs. train, plane automobiles
and ships ?
If online communications were reducing the need for air travel, we would expect to see a significant decrease in air travel since 2000. Instead:

https://www.iea.org/tcep/transport/aviation/
> Demand for air transport has more than doubled since 2000, and demand for both passenger and freight aviation is expected to remain strong in the future.

> In 2018, passenger activity increased by 6.1% to 8.2 trillion revenue passenger kilometres, and the number of total air passengers reached a record 4.3 billion (ICAO, 2019a). This activity growth is a slowdown from the 7.9% increase registered in 2017, however, with regional growth rates in 2018 ranging between 4.7% and 7.3%.

I agree that online collaboration has the *potential* to reduce emissions. However, it is not fulfilling that potential. That's why we need to walk the talk and demonstrate how to collaborate effectively online, so other industries can adopt our methods and tools.