Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

Le 26/07/2019 à 14:27, Eliot Lear a écrit :
Don, others who think three meetings are the right number,

On 25 Jul 2019, at 10:46, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am also in favor of keeping three meetings a year.

Why three?  Why not four, two, five?

Here is my claim: we can fly less and be more effective.

I agree.

I am asking simply that the LLC in consultation with the IESG test
that statement by finding the right questions, collecting and
analyzing data, and then bring the results of their analysis with
recommendations to the community for our consideration.

I take seriously the need for hallway conversations, hackathons, ad hocs, in addition to our formal meeting time. That has to be taken into account.

I agree.  I realize for myself that I write differently to a person that
I have already met; I visualize that person and imagine how would the
reception of my message be.

On another hand, when I write to someone I never met (or to a list of people) it is in a more neutral manner. With that, there is a risk that the message does not get through, especially if the message is relatively complex, as technical things are.

I noticed that the ISOC-trained IETF newcomers now request an individual skype session immediately after first contact. I find that very useful before meeting in person. I wonder if it's ISOC who trained them so, or is it by themselves.

But it has been some 28 years since we went to three meetings per year. Let’s please do the work to understand what options we have. That’s my request. Do you disagree?

No.

Alex

Eliot