Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

On 7/23/19 10:21 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

I think the issue is the usual stuff we all know:

- People don’t post things on lists that they are willing to say in person
- Sometimes e-mail isn’t the best way to have a discussion
- in-person builds a relationship and trust in ways that other technologies
   just can’t
- I have had things make it to RFC without a need to attend a meeting and
   the conversations happened on-list or off-list
- Not all WGs are equal, some do this better than others, it’s not the chairs
   but often the participants that matter the most in this success IMO

But there's also another set of issues, e.g.:

- Many of us have had the experience of traveling halfway across the world in order to attend WG meetings which were (for various reasons, some predictable) mostly a waste (not only of CO2 but also money, time, energy, etc.)

- Even though meeting in person can often be more effective than email or remote conferencing, we don't structure our in-person meetings to make the best use of the opportunities afforded by the investment of those precious quantities.

Keith