Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

> On Jul 22, 2019, at 10:50 PM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 7/22/19 10:41 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>> There is no conflict here.  Meeting travel is expensive, onerous, and
>> simply not feasible for many people due to a variety of circumstances.
>> Decreasing the requirement for it will enable participation by a wider
>> and more diverse community.
>
> Nominally, we don't require meeting attendance to be an effective
> IETF participant, but that's increasingly being met with a wink and a
> <nudge>.  I do think that there's an important question in there
> about whether or not this is actually what we want.  I think Elliot
> went straight to the follow-on question of how to ease that requirement
> (if that's, in fact, what we want) and made a few problematic
> assumptions about how the process of figuring that out might work, but I
> do think that the base question - Do we really want to functionally
> require participants to come to meetings? - deserves some attention.

I think the issue is the usual stuff we all know:

- People don’t post things on lists that they are willing to say in person
- Sometimes e-mail isn’t the best way to have a discussion
- in-person builds a relationship and trust in ways that other technologies
  just can’t
- I have had things make it to RFC without a need to attend a meeting and
  the conversations happened on-list or off-list
- Not all WGs are equal, some do this better than others, it’s not the chairs
  but often the participants that matter the most in this success IMO

I agree there’s a bit of a wink, but it’s also about the support people receive
from their employer.  It varies by person and group even and can make quite
a difference.

- Jared