Re: Future adjustment of nomcom company limits (Was: Re: Nomcom 2019-2020: Result of random selection process)

On Jul 8, 2019, at 11:38 AM, Andrew G. Malis <agmalis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The past chair should be exempt from affecting affiliation limits, because the past chair is exactly that and cannot be replaced by someone else as a result of their affiliation. Including them in the affiliation limits is unfair to the past chair's affiliated organization.

What we are trying to do is avoid unfairness that would come out of overrepresentation, not ensure that everyone is represented.   So no, it is absolutely not unfair if this happens.   Whether we should make that the process is a good question, but if we do not make it the process, it should not be based on the theory that it might unfairly impact some employer’s representation on nomcom.