RE: RFC Editor model

Hi Christian,

Snipping to just one part of your mail.

> The other source of stress is the independent series. I do believe

> and so many times that this streams provides useful checks and

> balance against the IESG. It is clearly a source of tension, but that

> tension should be assumed and managed.

Thank you for your support of the Independent Submissions stream.

It would be unsurprising if any technical work related to the Internet was without its tensions. And given that one of the reasons for the stream’s existence is publish things that the IETF and/or the IESG has chosen to not publish, I am sure there are specific tensions.

It is sad, however, that these concerns are not brought to the Independent Submissions Editor for discussion. Some tensions can be handled by reconciling the differences between perceptions and the situation on the ground. I did talk with the IESG at IETF-102 (the slides are available at http://www.olddog.co.uk/ise-iesg-ietf102.pdf), but have had only passing conversations with anyone on the IAB.

It is disappointing that RSOC has not spoken with me since I took up the office in March 2018.

While it is in the nature of the role that I am largely unsupervised (just being appointed or replaced by the IAB), it is good to talk!

And…

> I would like to see the RSE focus on such questions. And I

> think removing the RPC management and the ISE tension

> from the role would help that.

Removing the tension would be good.

But, it is pretty clear that Independent Submission RFCs are RFCs. Therefore their publication comes under the care of the RSE.

Best,

Adrian

--

Adrian Farrel