Re: privacy and IETF meetings in US

On 7/6/19 21:43, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 12:42:17PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> ps. at least for me, I will already know in my home city of Toronto,
>> whether or not I will be refused for not handing out my social media
>> or web browser history, since we clear immigration at the airport :P
>
> So, CBP asking to see your social media or mobile is not remotely a new
> thing, and was happening before 2016.

For the USA? Datapoint: I've processed two visas for the USA prior to
2017, and I've never was asked social media details.

> The U.S. is not the only country to have done that sort of thing, either.

Does that matter?

> But CBP is also naturally
> bandwidth limited as to how many visitors they can apply that treatment
> to...

How does this criteria play with the "being more inclusinve" thing?

> What's *new* here is that those who need a _visa_ to visit now can be
> subjected to this treatmeant with a higher natural bandwidth limit at
> the applicable U.S. consulate, so more such visitors can expect to be
> subjected to it.  I imagine consular officials were always able to
> request additional data, such as social media identifiers, but now the
> State department will be requiring that information of all visa
> applicants.
>
> Now, not every visitor to the U.S. needs a visa.

FWIW, most (if not all) latinamerican countries need a visa to enter the
USA.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont