Re: AD Sponsorship of draft-moonesamy-recall-rev

On 24-May-19 21:50, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 2:15 AM S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:sm%2Bietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     As a comment about IETF process, it was pointed out to me that a
>     Working Group Chair cannot author drafts within his/her working
>     group. That does not seem to be a problem for other Working Group
>     Chairs; some of them have been authored drafts in their working
>     groups.  That can create a perception that the rule, if there is one,
>     is applied in different ways to different people.
>

> It's not quite clear what the gravamen of your complaint is here.. To the
> best of my knowledge, no such rule exists. Obviously, you might have
> been misinformed, but I'm not sure what you're hoping for as a result.

There's certainly no rule, but there have been many cases where an
AD has raised the issue of potential conflict of interest - if a WG Chair
is a lead author for an important WG draft, that person can certainly
not make the consensus judgement. And I know that some ADs have been more
insistent on this point than others, especially if both co-chairs are also
protagonists of the draft.

    Brian