Re: AD Sponsorship of draft-moonesamy-recall-rev

Dear Mr Rescorla,
At 03:45 AM 20-05-2019, Eric Rescorla wrote:
I'm not on any kind of I*, but when I was, the idea behind an IAB shepherd was not that primarily that they provided a review but that they helped the proponents of the work navigate the IETF process (especially the BOF process) and get to a crisp problem statement, etc. I never thought of it as a requirement, but rather something that was intended to result in a more productive discussion.

Thank you for providing the above information.

The short draft was intended to be narrow in scope (re. crisp problem statement). Some time back, I served as editor of a draft which was discussed at length on this mailing list. My co-author also served as editor of other drafts. He has much more experience than I do with respect to getting drafts through the IETF process.

As a comment about IETF process, it was pointed out to me that a Working Group Chair cannot author drafts within his/her working group. That does not seem to be a problem for other Working Group Chairs; some of them have been authored drafts in their working groups. That can create a perception that the rule, if there is one, is applied in different ways to different people. I am okay if the IAB wishes to provide guidance on a problem statement about that as part of the revision to IETF eligibility procedures.

I read draft-rescorla-istar-recall-00. One of the conclusions from it is that the recall system is so unwieldy that it is undeployable even in the most egregious cases. I could not figure out the rationale for having an accountability mechanism which, by design, is not intended to work.

There is the following sentence at the end of Section 3 of the draft: "The Chair of the IETF may not be removed by expulsion". That is an interesting proposal.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy