Re: [Ext] Re: [rfc-i] Evolving document sources over a long time (Re: Comments on draft-roach-bis-documents-00)

On 23.05.2019 13:05, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
Julian,

My understanding of the goal in draft-roach-bis-documents is to make the
bis RFC as close to the original as possible, including formatting
(modulo changes resulting from tooling changes), so that you don't need
linking or to look in multiple places.

Yes. But...

This would include a complete view of all IANA actions related to the
protocol in one place. draft-roach wants to completely replace the
original RFC with the bis, not just update it

I still don't get why past IANA actions are of any relevance for an
updated specification.

And yes, I understand that this is about replacing (obsoleting) a
document, not simply updating it. There may be cases where it's as
simple as that (RFC X replaced by RFC Xbis), but in my experience, there
are frequently other RFCs published in between that indeed updated the
original RFC and had their own IANA actions - so just having those from
X and Xbis does not give a complete picture.

Best regards, Julian