Re: [Ext] Re: [rfc-i] Evolving document sources over a long time (Re: Comments on draft-roach-bis-documents-00)

On 23.05.2019 11:30, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
Tom,

I think you might have misunderstood my suggestion. To make it more
concrete, let's say that we're creating RFC 1234bis to replace RFC 1234.

Then RFC 1234bis's IANA considerations section would have two subsections:

- What IANA Now Needs to Do (these are new actions resulting from the
bis document)

- What IANA Already Did in RFC 1234 (what IANA originally did, the
original text from RFC 1234)

That way you don't have to look in two places (RFC 1234bis and RFC 1234)
to see everything that IANA did, both historically and now.

Understood - but why is that actually important enough to drag the old
information in? Wouldn't be linking to it be sufficient? Also, doesn't
it give the potentially incorrect impression that this is a complete
view of all IANA actions related to the protocol?

Best regards, Julian