Re: IETF attendance costs

On 5/14/19 5:29 PM, Nico Williams wrote:

I mean, you're trying to get people to sign on to review, and even
co-author.  I.e., you have to advertise your proposal.  How will you do
that if you don't get a chance to tell people about it?  Especially in a
BoF.

A good case can be made for presentations in BOFs.

It would also be useful if latecomers to a WG, and "tourists", could have a way to get up to speed.    If we had better ways of doing that, our standards might benefit from earlier review from a more diverse set of interests.   IETF Last Call is too late to fix much.

I have been wondering if it would be worth it for authors or WGs to publish "catch up" slides, or even to hold "catch up" sessions in advance of WG meetings, so that newcomers and tourists could contribute more effectively (less disruptively) if they chose to attend the WG sessions.

I also wonder if there might be a significant "market" for such sessions from the broader technical population, from people interested in what the future might hold.    Maybe there could be N days of "catch up" presentations and BOFs, followed by M days of working group sessions with NO presentations.  (As a first approximation, let N=2 and M=3, and tweak as necessary; put BOFs on the last of the N days.)   Most WG participants wouldn't need to attend the first N days (though some might want to see what's going on in other groups/areas), whereas those who just wanted an overview, wouldn't need to attend the last M days.

WGs not actually having working sessions at the meeting should still produce/update "catch up" presentations or at least update their slides.   Those attending WG working sessions and who weren't caught up on the mailing lists, would be expected to read the slides before attending.

All sessions should be remotely accessible for free, though in-person attendees will of course have more occasions for fine lunches and dinners.

Maybe there could also be some renumeration (or at least free registration) for those doing presentations, which could offset some of the meeting costs for active participants and enable a more diverse set of people to participate.    (We'd have to be careful, though, to not create perverse incentives.   Having people create proposals in the hopes of deriving money from presentations about those proposals might not be good for the Internet.   But free registration seems fairly low-risk as long as the conference makes enough money from additional attendance to offset the cost of those attending for free.)

Keith