Re: Another mail bomber

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 03:13:31PM -0400, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
> John,
>
> Some IETF WG lists (but not all) are set up so that a message from a
> non-member of the list needs to be approved to a sender whitelist by the
> list admin, and in addition, the sender receives an email invitation to
> join the list. Perhaps all WG lists should move to this model. It's worked
> well for the lists that I've administered.

Of course, we did only fairly recently get a "global whitelist" to let
people subscribe to any IETF list be permitted to post to all or nearly all
IETF lists without having to subscribe to each one.  So such a change
should probably be considered in that broader context -- hopefully we can
converge quickly on what the right answer is (if there even is a single
right answer across all the lists).

> On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 10 May 2019, John C Klensin wrote:
> > > Yes, but remember (as I have been reminded recently) that the
> > > sergeant-at-arms is responsible for the IETF list and not any WG
> > > or non-WG lists.  Maybe we should change that, or at least have

(It already seems to be pretty hard to get volunteers to fill the
sergeant-at-arms position; increasing the scope of the duties seems
unlikely to make that easier.)

> > > a standard/canned note about good and acceptable practices that
> > > can be sent out easily on the authority of the responsible
> > > person for a list or someone else, but that is a separate

That could be pretty useful...

> > > discussion (which I'd encourage the IESG to have at their
> > > convenience).

.... and need not even wait for IESG action for discussion to start.

-Ben