Re: Another mail bomber

John,

Some IETF WG lists (but not all) are set up so that a message from a non-member of the list needs to be approved to a sender whitelist by the list admin, and in addition, the sender receives an email invitation to join the list. Perhaps all WG lists should move to this model. It's worked well for the lists that I've administered.

Cheers,
Andy

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2019, John C Klensin wrote:
> Yes, but remember (as I have been reminded recently) that the
> sergeant-at-arms is responsible for the IETF list and not any WG
> or non-WG lists.  Maybe we should change that, or at least have
> a standard/canned note about good and acceptable practices that
> can be sent out easily on the authority of the responsible
> person for a list or someone else, but that is a separate
> discussion (which I'd encourage the IESG to have at their
> convenience).

Seems reasonable.  In this case the guy or thing seems to have stopped,
but we seem to have a newish pattern of a few disruptive messages sent to
a lot of lists.  In the commercial world we call this snowshoe spam,
spread lightly enough that no individual gets enough to act on it but in
the aggregate quite annoying.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY