Re: AD Sponsorship of draft-moonesamy-recall-rev

On 4/26/2019 11:04 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
Speaking selfishly, the procedure also imposes a burden on the
Internet Society President to find and appoint a Recall Committee
Chair.  As the incumbent who'd have to do that, my first problem is to
write a job description, then to find a suitable candidate who has the
time and motivation and reputation to do this.  Making this burden
easier to impose on me at surprising intervals is something that,
quite frankly, I would be inclined to resist were someone to ask me in
my professional capacity what I thought.  That suggests to me that the
procedure would need some additional modifications in order to make
the changes practical, and once the worm-can is open who knows what
additional red wrigglers will start moving around?

Way back when I wrote https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stjohns-alt-3777bis-00 ; - especially section 6 - to address some of this.  Basically, what I suggested was that the chair of the recall committee should be the most recent chair  of the nomcom committee who wasn't currently serving on a nomcom and who would accept the appointment.  I also suggested that the list of volunteers for the most recent nomcom instance be used to select the recall committee (after being pruned of the actual nomcom selectees).  I proposed a model where the recall committee could be stood up in about a week and finish in either two or three.

There is no need to refer to the ISOC for any of this (seriously - "write a job description"?????  serious overkill), and  avoiding all the issues that you mention by avoiding the ISOC is a "good thing".  Instead, work with known quantities and people and a pre-agreed upon plan.

Later, Mike