Re: Finding the appropriate work stream for draft-nottingham-for-the-users

On 3/19/19 12:09 PM, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:

I had asked this question on an earlier version of this draft and want to poke at it again.  Is the focus on end users the best and most effective way to achieve the same objective?  Could the focus of this work be shifted to privacy and providing anonymity in protocols instead?

I don't think I understand.   Why would we emphasize privacy and anonymity if not for the benefit of end users?   Also, this kind of direction wouldn't tell us how to deal with tussles between privacy or anonymity, and other needs of end users.

I claim that, fundamentally, the Internet exists to benefit end users - much more than, say, to benefit network operators, merchants, equipment manufacturers, Big Brother, etc.   Failing to recognize that only makes IETF less relevant.

Keith