Re: /.well-known (RFC5785) vs versioned APIs [and EST/RFC7030]

On Feb 25, 2019, at 20:34, Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2019, at 12:00 PM, Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For CoAP, we don’t want to become dependent on DNS.
>
> Why not?

It’s a long story, and I’m not sure this is the right place to repeat the discussion.

First of all, there is nothing wrong with using CoAP and DNS together.  We just don’t want to form an addiction.

DNS is this great internet-scale naming system.  For most IoT deployments, I have no idea what that would have to do with it.

In many organizations, DNS is highly loaded with bizarreness (often originally motivated with genuine security considerations).  Staying clear of that may be extremely useful.

DNS provides a limited form of REST (I know you have been working on retrofitting more of it), but it is not the real thing.  Why would I use DNS if I can use CoAP?

Grüße, Carsten