Re: /.well-known (RFC5785) vs versioned APIs [and EST/RFC7030]

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I think that the IETF already has the answer to the problem you are raising.
    > But it is spread out so that while the existing standards essentially
    > constrain the space, there is no RFC that puts them together and so I wrote
    > one myself:

    > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-web-service-discovery-00

    > This has expired but will be replaced in a few hours time. I am in fact
    > updating the whole document set right now.

okay, I see it now, and I'll read it.

    > So my response to Michael is that you don't want your version numbers in the .
    > well-known path, you want them in the DNS records because then they can be
    > used to select the host to connect to according to capabilities.

Interesting. I think that I agree.

    > Lets say we have 10 hosts and we are upgrading them to a new version of the
    > spec over a two year period (licenses sometimes cost money, people always
    > do). So we might upgrade 2 hosts to start with and advertise the fact with
    > host specific TXT records.

It might also be that operating both versions is more than one wants to do
with a single host, so one wants to upgrade only as the clients upgrade in
order to match traffic loads.

I like that our document includes load balancing as a built-in goal.

    > Of course, to actually make use of a scheme like this in actual deployment,
    > the DNS records have to be 100% reliable. Which is not going to happen if
    > they are being maintained by hand. So an adjunct specification that would be
    > required is a means of automating the management of the DNS records. When the
    > service comes up and every n minutes thereafter, it should ping the outbound
    > DNS to tell it that it is still alive and what current configuration
    > information it needs to publish.

    > The ability to secure attributes of this type gives DNSSEC the potential to
    > improve application security. We can now specify that the service MUST be
    > encrypted.

+1

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works