Re: /.well-known (RFC5785) vs versioned APIs [and EST/RFC7030]

Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Right, versions are massively overrated.  (Many people think they can
    > transfer the knowledge they have gained about software versioning to
    > protocol versions.  Totally wrong.)

I agree.
Further, we don't do enough advance work in "version 1" to say how we will
use minor protocol numbers.  They are almost always useless in my opinion,
but it's taken a long time to get to that view.  Minor extensions must always
be accomodated without protocol version changes.

    > The reason I’m replying is that, for EST-CoAPS, the situation is even
    > more complicated, because CoAP has a standard discovery mechanism
    > (which is incidentally fired by /.well-known/core), and EST-CoAPS also
    > defines everything that is needed to make that work for them.  So there
    > already is an established way to obtain the server-defined entry point
    > URIs to the various services.  The /.well-known/est stuff mainly seems
    > to be there  because there is a belief that implementers in this space
    > want to nail down everything and won’t do the discovery.

Yes, I've pushed to not sit on the fence, here, and lost :-)

Either we always do discovery, in which case, we have no need for
/.well-known/est, or we can operate on never doing discovery, in which case,
we don't need discovery.   It's clearly a code space vs network round trips
argument.

I think that once we have a standardized CBOR reply for CoAP discovery, so no
parsing of ASCII strings, that discovery will become more popular.

WOuld you say that in a CoAP space that protocol enhancements are simply
indicated by the discovery returning new end points.  We can name
them /2/blah if we want, but /rfc1234/blah would be equally valid/useful.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-