Re: sr.ht --- "sir hat" --- alternatives to Github

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 09:26:01AM -0800, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> I haven't had time to really take a look at sr.ht, but that's not
> going to stop me from commenting!

:)

> First, as Lars says, nothing stops people from using some !Github
> toolchain, and if it's good, then I'm sure people can vote with their
> feet.

My concern is that IETF business conducted off IETF lists might be
problematic.  We have an answer to that: confirm consensus on IETF
mailing lists.  I'm OK with that.  But I would prefer to have a better
e-mail interface from GitHub/GitLab/BitBucket/etc.

> [...]
>
> With that said, the design philosophy Michael describes (no JS,
> mailing list focused) seems to me to abandon a bunch of what people
> like about Github. I know that Linux (for instance) has a mailing-list
> based process, but most open source projects I am familiar with prefer
> a Web-based process, in particular for code/change review. For
> instance, both Firefox and Chromium lean very hard on their online
> code review tools for patch development, interdiffs, etc., and
> wouldn't really want to go back to e-mail. So, from that perspective,
> this seems like it might be kind of a regression in features.

+1.

I like services that give me a nice REST JSON API and which use JS
judiciously to reduce page reload events.

Nico