Re: sr.ht --- "sir hat" --- alternatives to Github

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 01:52:13PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:
> https://lwn.net/Articles/775963/ has an article about sr.ht.
> In particular, it says:
>
> As mentioned, sr.ht has not taken the approach of being yet another GitHub
> clone. Instead, it is geared toward a mailing-list-centric approach, possibly
> using the sr.ht mailing list component. The sr.ht-dev mailing list (seen at
> right) provides an example of the user interface for that component. Unlike
> some other forges or mailing-list replacements, it is not JavaScript-heavy—in
> fact, sr.ht uses no JavaScript at all, so pages are small (less than 10KB on
> average) and load quickly.
>
> -----
>
> I think that there may be many IETFers who will see some major advantages.
> JavaScript-free, component based, email focused.  Probably also software
> we can run ourselves.

I don't mind JS, but pages (including the JS they use) must be small.

In fact, I prefer web services to be build as a REST JSON API for
accessing data and performing operations, and a static HTML and JS
front-end that uses that API.  The reasons I like that approach:
a) users immediately get an API they can call from non-browser-based
utilities, b) third parties get an API they can call from their apps,
c) this design greatly reduces page reloads, d) this simplifies
implementation of the service.

I very much like the email focus.  GitHub has a rather limited e-mail
interface that leaves much to be desired (can't use markdown in email,
users don't get email copies of their own comments, no way to create
issues or PRs by e-mail, no way to manage issue metadata via email,
....).

Also, for the IETF we very much need immutable archives, but GitHub and
alike allow editing of comments.  An e-mail gateway would be a good tool
for providing archival of commentary.

> I haven't had time to try it yet (just signed up for an account), but I will
> put a draft or two on it, and see how I like it.

I look forward to your report.

Nico