Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

Hi Dave,
At 10:44 AM 09-11-2018, Dave Cridland wrote:
I suspect that had less to do with mailing lists in general, and much to do with the IETF mailing lists in particular. DMARC itself was a clear attempt to side-step the standards process, and a successful one at that. It's mirrored by other activities, like WHAT-WG. This again is an overt move by dominant providers to cement their control over the standards. And yes, I'm well aware that is not what it says on the WHAT-WG website - but it is, however, literally what the Steering Group is there to enforce.

I visited the web site. From what I understand, the working group defines the standards for the web. That shouldn't be a problem as the IETF is currently not doing any related work. Furthermore, it is in line with the belief of "technological freedom".

There might have been conflicting interests in the case of DMARC. That can happen in any venue in which various interests are at stake. Things get out of hand when the managers of the process either do not have adequate experience to handle the matter or if they have a vested interest in the matter.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy