Re: The Friday Experiment

If the goal is to decrease the duration of the trip, we should just have that as a goal and not pretend it's something else.   If the goal is to provide opportunities for unstructured collaboration, then we should make that the goal.   One thing we could do would be to make it a "hackathon" day, and have one less "hackathon" day on the weekend, for example.   This would enable both unstructured meeting and hackathoning.   But what we should not do is have Heisenfreitag, where we don't know who is meeting until the wave function collapses.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:42 PM Job Snijders <job@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Ted,

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 6:34 PM Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that what we should do is to have the experiment mid-week, not at the end of the week, and to make Friday a regular meeting day, not a special day that ends early.

Can you elaborate on /why/ a mid-week day is more suitable in your
opinion than the Friday or Monday?

In my mind doing this at the beginning (or preferably the end) of the
week creates opportunity to optionally reduce the total duration of a
trip, whereas planning such experiments in the middle of the week
basically forces everyone to be around, even if they don't have a need
to do so during given IETF meeting.

Kind regards,

Job