Re: The Friday Experiment

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018, Ted Lemon wrote:

I also flew home Friday morning.   Interestingly, some of my colleagues
actually did plan to use Friday, and this turns out to have been (arguably)
a mistake, although I'm really glad to be home.   I think that what we
should do is to have the experiment mid-week, not at the end of the week,
and to make Friday a regular meeting day, not a special day that ends early..

I booked my travels in August and wasn't aware of this "experiment" until it was too late. Now, with the 6man side-meeting on friday I am happy I was there, I got a few hours friday afternoon for things I wanted to do in Bangkok and then took a midnight flight home.

A lot of flights leave Bangkok around midnight, at least Europe-bound. In other cities it seems long distance flights leave more spread out. I think this might be something that should be taken into account when it comes to deciding how to schedule Fridays for meetings.

It felt I had more conflcits this week compared to earlier meetings. I attend lots of different meetings, transport, internet area, netconf/netmod. I was quite surprised by the "oh, nobody would ever want to attend multicast and IPv6 standardisation so that's fine to schedule at the same time" conflict this time around. I typically have conflicts, but it felt this meeting was worse than average.

I also felt several sessions I attended were quite rushed and there wasn't enough time for discussions and presentations.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx