Re: Diversity considerations

Hi Dan,

On 02.10.18 00:34, Daniel Harkins wrote:
> I was not simplifying their "struggle", only pointing out that there are
> examples of tech valuing a mono-culture so we can't say we want "diversity
> of all kinds." We need to say what kinds of diversity we want. And I'd
> hope
> it won't be done with statements designed to avoid discussion such as:
> "diversity is a competency."

The reason I raised this point in response to Brian's draft has to do
with the organization being blindsided, particularly the IAB.  In this
sense I view a monoculture as an existential threat to the organization,
simply because we won't be prepared for whatever Next Big Thing comes
along, or we won't know when we are actually creating risks to our own
organization.  I believe we are in this very situation today.  The only
way out of it that I can think of is very broad and diverse experience
and expertise.  I don't necessarily measure that in skin tone, sexual
preference, gender, age, or what passport one holds, although those are
sometimes good indicators of that sort of diversity, but I don't think
there can be an answer to your question, simply because we don't know
what the Next Big Thing will be.

Eliot