Re: Diversity considerations

> We expect our leaders to value and promote diversity of all kinds.

   No we don't. Many kinds of diversity have no bearing on the IETF.
And there are documented cases where people in high tech would like
less diversity.

   Like what you ask? Well, Mozilla was doing OK under Brendan Eich. Then
it came out that he gave money to an anti-gay marriage campaign. Was
diversity of opinion on the topic of gay marriage important to Mozilla?
Apparently not. Even demonstrated competence at the CEO level was not
enough to counter-balance the mono-culture on opinion of gay marriage
that Mozilla wanted, so out he went.

I think it may be worthwhile to read Mitchell Baker's post on Brendan's decision.  It is here:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/03/brendan-eich-steps-down-as-mozilla-ceo/

It highlights that it can be a struggle to support both equality and free speech, but that doing so helps organizations committed to the potential of the Web (or Internet) see them reach that potential.  While I have never worked for Mozilla, the given summary of their mission:

"our mission will always be to make the Web more open so that humanity is stronger, more inclusive and more just: that’s what it means to protect the open Web."

seems to fit will the ethos of those I know who have worked there.

Simplifying their struggle to achieve balance while furthering that mission does not seem to me to advance our own discussions much.  I think it would be better if we focused our discussions on our own efforts.

Just my personal opinion, of course,

Ted Hardie