Re: Diversity considerations

Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > The biggest problem here is how slow everything is.  That's because
    > we're volunteers and we're not fully funded to do things like review
    > other people's I-Ds.

We don't even adequately and consistently credit people for reviews, and in
particular, we don't do so in a way that is machine readable and therefore
easily summarizable.   This could be made to matter to tenure and promotion
committees, we could find new volunteers, but also we would make ourselves
relevant to a new generation of students and academics.

(You may not like the Chinese social credit system's criteria and how the
information is (ab)used [I don't], but the concept of rewarding desireable
behaviour definitely has some merit.)

    > People who want to create would prefer to write
    > code and screw standardization at IETF.

Yes, and thus yet-another-messaging-protocol was invented :-)

    > However, it's hard to make a volunteer organization work on a basis
    > other than consensus seeking, if that's what you mean.

+1

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-